Monday, October 13, 2014

New Belgium Tour De Fall

I've been giving a lot of attention to darker, winter season beers as of late. I tend to be the type that gets super excited about the changing seasons. I decorate early, and listen to Christmas music sometimes as early as late October. Gross, I know, but we all have our shortcomings. That being said, I love when the weather is cool enough to start drinking stouts again. They're almost completely unpalatable to me in the summer, so it's kind of exciting. But let's not forget about the beer that turns brown(er) in this current season just like the leaves. I'm talking about those in between types that combine the hoppiness and drinkability of summer brews with the dark malt, spice, and chewiness of winter libations. Oktoberfest/Märzen is the champion of fall, but there are a few others that chime in their own interpretation to pair with seasonal change. One of which, I am currently having the pleasure to enjoy. 



New Belgium Tour De Fall Pale Ale

BG Poured from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 6% ABV, Enjoy By 01/04/15

A Copper in color with an off-white head made of tight bubbles that leave splotches here and there of lacing. It settles down to a thin film of bubbles that makes it look like shaken iced tea.

A Even amounts of dark roasted malt and piney hops, bread crust, smells like taking a walk through a damp forest, very light coffee notes, slight hint of spice

T Super dry, malt forward, resinous hops for balance, dark chocolate, lactose, roasted nuts

M Very creamy, coats the tongue, med-light body

A Dark chocolate malt, touch of hops

C I’m a bit confused by the label, because it states this is a pale ale. In which case, this is the most malty pale ale I’ve ever experienced. I can totally see it being a hybrid fall pale ale, however. I very much enjoy hybrid beers that either combine styles, or are so out there they become a style of their own. Tour De Fall has a great malt/hop balance, and finishes a bit more on the malt side. It’s flavorful and dark, but light bodied. In my opinion, the world needs more hoppy brown ales (Epic Santa Cruz Brown Ale, anyone?). This beer makes me think of a forest full of damp, half naked trees and fallen leaves. If you could bundle that experience up and steep it, this would be the resulting brew.

FP Warm oatmeal raisin cookies, shepherd’s pie, green bean casserole with slivered almonds and frizzled onions, Thanksgiving dinner if you’re sick of pumpkin ales ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment