Sunday, October 12, 2014

Big Sky Slow Elk and Home Brew Update

It's going to be 40ºF tonight. Time for another stout! I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Please let your darker beers warm up a touch after you take them out of the fridge before drinking them. They'll be much more delicious! Pretty cold in your house? I put my beer right next to the fan in my laptop that blows out a bunch of hot air. It works! 

Something I've encountered time and time again while taking tasting notes is trying to find and decipher the date codes on bottles and cans. Some are straight forward, and literally say "BEST BY mm/dd/yy". Others, like the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, leave you with a mysterious code that sends you into a fruitless internet search. It shouldn't be hard to figure out, but I still find myself having to do some research every now and then. This site is very helpful for such an occurrence.

So, back to that stout! 



Big Sky Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout

BG Poured from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 5.4% ABV, Best By 11/20/14

A Black in color with a dark tan head that leaves wide trails of lacing on the glass. It looks super creamy!

A Dark roasted coffee beans, sweet chocolate malt, brown sugar oatmeal, touch of dried hay

T Dark malt, a few green notes, powdered milk, slightly sweet grain

M Chalky and creamy at the same time, but the chalkiness takes over after the creaminess passes, light body, watery

A Dark chocolate, short finish

C I really don’t have a lot to say about this one. I’ve had amber ales with more character. It’s not bad, but it’s really not very good considering the other options available. I just expect a lot more flavor and mouthfeel from an oatmeal stout. It’s kind of watery and a little bland. Meh...

FP Bourbon bacon caramel popcorn, smoked BBQ chicken drumsticks, hearty mac & cheese



Experiencing a mediocre beer is never a bad experience. It simply gives you perspective and more appreciation for the great beers out there. Life lessons!

I'm learning a lot from my first home brew experience. The amount of cleaning involved was extreme! Even if the resulting beer doesn't taste very good, I'm going to cherish it. And that smell that fills the house while the wort is boiling... Mmm! Right now my yeast is happily eating away at the wort, as evidenced by the frequent "blub, blub, blub" coming from the airlock. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment