Monday, October 20, 2014

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

My beer stash from Erik's recent California trip has begun to run low, and I find myself with a fridge full of imperial stouts, a couple Pliney, and a few other stragglers. I haven't been to the DABC in a few weeks (state-run liquor store for you non-Utah people), and I've got a few brews in mind that I'd like to get. Epic just came out with a new Amarillo Hopped pale ale, I have yet to try Uinta Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin, and Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin might be at the DABC now as well. I'm looking forward to all of those. But for now, I have to get through what I've got. Luckily enough, one of those happens to be a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Yum!


Please note: This is not a pumpkin beer. The pumpkin is simply in the picture for seasonal aesthetics. =)



BG Poured from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 9% ABV, Bottled 07/17/14

A Gold to light amber in color, and brilliantly clear. There’s only about one finger of white head, even with a fairly vigorous pour. Lovely sheets of lace stretch out on the glass as I drink.

A Piney hops, biscuit malt, citrus rind, pizzelle cookies, tangerines, green grass

T Fresh baked bread crust, super juicy citrus hops, pound cake, valencia orange, sweet biscotti, slightly vegetal, spice

M A little tart on the back sides of the tongue, light body, med-high carbonation

A Burnt bread crust, citric acid

C I was excited for this brew, not only because it’s one of the best imperial IPAs in the country, but because I’ve been working through a case of Pliny the Elder, and couldn’t wait to compare the two. The most stark contrast is the amount of malt character in the 90 minute IPA. It’s biscuity, and way sweeter. But it still has those citric hop notes. It’s like taking a big ol’ bite out of and orange, citrus juices rolling down your chin. Pliney paid very little attention to malt, and ran with the citrus hop character all the way, but much less with the sweetness. The one thing I appreciate most about beer is variety. Both of these brews are in the same style, but also so very different. I love it! 90 minute is a delicious and unique representation of an American Imperial IPA. It’s certainly one of my first picks at a liquor store out of state. If you have constant access to either, take advantage and consider yourself lucky!

FP Sticky bun with blood orange glaze, rocket lettuce salad with pine nuts, cranberries, and a sweet citrus vinaigrette, pepperoni mushroom pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment