Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale & A Red Rock Growler Fill

Today I went to the park, threw the frisbee around, had an iced tea from my favorite tea shop, and enjoyed wearing shorts and a tank top for maybe one of the last days this year. It doesn't feel like fall outside, but it tastes like it when I've got Dogfish Head Punkin Ale in my glass. 

And remember that Red Rock Brewery growler I found at a thrift shop? Erik and I ate at one of their locations tonight, and filled that baby up. 




One of the first things our server said was, "So how old is that growler?" Apparently, it's got a few years on it. Most growlers these days are made of brown glass, as to better protect your precious beer from the sun's harmful UV rays. My growler is made of clear glass, so I just have to be extra careful and treat it like the contents are liquid vampire. Skunking via sunlight (or even florescent light!) can occur in a matter of seconds. Think about the taste of corona or any clear-bottled beer, and I think you'll understand the off-flavor I'm talking about. While we're on the subject of growlers, let's make sure you finish her off within 24 hours. This is draft beer, after all, and it should be consumed in a timely manor. I suggest sharing with a friend! =) Oh! And my growler was filled with Red Rock Organic Zwickel Bier. Without going into tasting notes (we've got a punkin beer to talk about), it's a Kellerbier style, which is an unpasteurized and unfiltered German lager. It's like a Pilsner with more hay and herbal spice - a summer quencher getting ready for cooler weather. Speaking of which, here's some notes on yet another pumpkin beer!






Dogfish Head Punkin Ale


BG 10/07/2014
Poured from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 7% ABV, the “bottled on” date is unfortunately undecipherable, even after doing some research. It just reads, “BOTTLED ON 2014L 11:06”. I think it’s at least safe to say it’s from this year. =)

A Amber in color with little to no head. What did manage to foam up was a cream color and left no lacing. Super clear.

A Roasted malt, warm nuts, touch of pumpkin flesh, car leather, hint of overripe banana, nutmeg. The nose is a bit subdued, so be patient while taking whiffs…. Ahah! Let this one warm up for a few minutes to release the bouquet. 5-8 minutes out of the fridge should help it open up.

T Wow! So much flavor… pumpkin pie chased with fresh pressed apple cider, very heavy on the pie spices (nutmeg, allspice, especially cinnamon), brown sugar sweetness, well balanced by piney hop bitterness, nutty, slightly burnt malt

M Med-low carbonation, medium body, slightly drying - like the cinnamon challenge, but on a more forgiving level

A Spice that is heavy on the cinnamon, hop bitterness

C Don’t let the shy nose fool you. This beer means business! It’s a bit sweeter than I would like, but it’s also balanced by a combination of bitter hops, cinnamon, and slightly burnt tasting malt. It has a very long, nutty, bitter, burnt finish I think is very similar to that of coffee without actually having any coffee flavors. It's classified as a brown ale, so the sweet and spicy pumpkin notes go down easy. The more I drink it, the more I like it. It has the flavor combinations of dessert - pumpkin pie washed down with warm apple cider - all in one swig. I’m actually craving the next sip. Is there MSG in this thing? Seek it out and get hooked! This is a tasty one.

FP Snickerdoodle cookies, apple crisp, pizza with pumpkin, pine nuts, and brie cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment