Saturday, October 18, 2014

Epic Fermentation Without Representation Imperial Pumpkin Porter

This beer speaks for itself, so let's just get right into it...



BG Poured from a 650ml bottle into a stemmed tulip, release #18, 8.6% ABV, the website says this release was brewed July 21st, 2014 and bottled August 1st, 2014.

A Black in color with two fingers of tan head. It leaves wisps of lacing that sparkle like frosted window panes. When held up to the light, it reveals a reddish/copper hue.  

A If there was such a thing as a pumpkin chocolate bar, like a reeses cup with pumpkin filling, this would be the liquid form. Even amounts of chocolate malt and pumpkin spice, super sweet pumpkin pie filling, a touch of floral hops for balance, s'mores, hint of gingerbread, nuts, there might even be some peanut butter in there

T Oh wow… I don’t wanna write anymore. I just want to drink this. Chocolate fluff, pumpkin filling that has been whipped in a kitchen aid mixer with cream and sugar for an hour, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, then it turns dark: roasted walnuts, marzipan, burnt chocolate chip cookies, a little bit of hop bitterness, toasted pumpkin seeds, coffee

M Incredibly creamy roundness. This might be my favorite mouthfeel ever!

A Almost burnt pumpkin pie, espresso beans

C I’ve never considered myself a pumpkin ale fan, but this is actually phenomenal! Again, pumpkin flavors work so well with darker beers. I like it over Wasatch Black O’Lantern, which I love. This beer scores high in every aspect. It’s visually appealing, provides you with a great journey of well-balanced sweet/bitter flavors, and gives a long, pleasant finish. I think the only bad thing I can say about it is it might be a touch too sweet for me to drink an entire bomber by myself. But that’s just my personal preference. If I could recommend any pumpkin beer to you, this would be it.

FP There’s a contrasting food pairing here somewhere that I know would be the sh!t. I’m thinking something salty - sesame sticks, cheesy fries, even some regular potato chips. There’s a peanut butter to this jelly out there, and I need to find it. I think a similar flavor pairing might be too sweet and overwhelm the palate, which is why I think something very salty would be sinfully good. I’ll start pairing and keep you updated...

No comments:

Post a Comment