Thursday, March 5, 2015

Mystery 12 Pack Update

Hail from the far away (or perhaps much closer than usual) winter wonderland known as Phillipsburg, NJ! Brought to you today by the color white, and the number 7 (inches).


I've been chipping away at the mystery 12 pack I picked up the other day, and this is what I've found.

I had the Summit Winter Ale the other night. It was surprisingly good! I've never heard of Summit before, but this winter ale had a great nutty complexity with notes of chocolate and pine cone hops. I'm not feeling the Christmas spirit anymore, but this beer is pulling me back! Well done, Summit!

Smuttynose also did a great job with their Vunderbar! Pilsner. It's very light straw in color, with a hefty helping of noble hop bitterness and aroma. The bready Pilsner malt plays along quite nicely with the floral hop notes. I must say, das ist vunderbar!

Weyerbacher Last Chance IPA is all about two things: a bold piney, grapefruit, citrus hop character, and donating a portion of the proceeds to local animal rescue organizations. The sharp bitterness on this one is bound to hook a few hop heads. These guys help quench the thirst of their customers while simultaneously helping animals in need. What a swell brewery!

Today I've had the delight of drinking Chimay Premeire (Red) on tap, and now I'm drinking the Chimay Doree (Gold). It's an ale brewed with spices, and its availability here in the states is a bit confusing for me. This is a beer I previously thought was only available at the Trappist brewery, but it seems they've decided to share this Belgian "single" with a select few distributors. Nonetheless, I'm happy to have stumbled upon a bottle, as it's quite quaffable! This baby is far less filling and flavorful than its stronger siblings, and rings in at 4.8% ABV. Coriander and champagne-like carbonation zips on the tongue, making it the perfect session Chimay. Yummy!

As for the remaining 4, I'll have to take them home to Utah, and hope the journey doesn't affect them too much.

Tomorrow, I hop on a bus back to Philadelphia where I'll spend the next few days doing plenty of beer research. And on Saturday I'll be attending the Philly Craft Beer Festival! I'll let you know how it goes! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment