Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Japanese Green Tea IPA - Collaboration between Baird, Stone, and Ishii

I'm starting to wonder if it's fair to review beers that are a few months old. I'm not talking about beers that are meant to be aged for years, but beers like IPAs and weissbiers that are meant to be consumed fresh. Working at a brewery has given me the ability to experience firsthand just how different a day old IPA is from a 2 week old. It makes me wonder if reviewing an IPA that's almost three months old is giving those who read it a true representation of what the beer will taste like if they were to try it. I suppose so long as I let you all know it's approaching the three month age, then it should be ok. I think I'm at the point where I should just stop buying them so old, let alone reviewing them. Snobbery aside, who can resist buying a green tea IPA from Stone and friends???
Japanese Green Tea IPA - Collaboration between Baird, Stone, and Ishii

BG Poured from a 22 fl oz (650ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 10.1% ABV, Bottled 01/09/15

A Golden honey in color with a finger of pure white, mouse-like head. It slowly dissipates, leaving behind some nice lace. This beer is very cloudy, and I’m sure there must be a good amount of wheat in here. 

A Grapefruit, citrus and floral hops, lightly sweet malt in the background that becomes more bready as I swirl. A touch of green grass, pineapple. The nose is on the lighter side.

T Woah, there are two completely different levels of flavor happening throughout the entire palate. The top level is a citrusy hop bitterness that firmly grabs the tongue and doesn’t let go until well after I’ve swallowed. The lower level is more dynamic, gently introducing softer citrus flavors of pineapple and mandarin with the roundness of green tea before more assertive hop flavor joins the ranks of the top level. There’s certainly a good level of yeast-derived spiciness that gives the hops some oomph. Biscuit malt holds down the fort, and subtly stands out underneath the citrus-fest. There’s some sweetness mid-palate, but the finish is dry. This has Stone’s fingerprints all over it.

M Creamy, yet biting. It dries out the mouth just a touch, and gives the tart impression of grapefruit. Medium-high carbonation. Medium-full body.

A Bitter citrus hops for daaaays. There’s also a strange impression of bitter dark chocolate I’m feeling on the aftertaste. It’s basically a chocolate orange. I might be imagining it, or simply craving it. Food pairing, anyone?

C I feel like this is more of a double IPA with subtle hints of green tea and nearly overwhelming amounts of citrus than it is a green tea IPA. That being said, I’m not drinking this beer anywhere near its prime time for consumption, as it’s 11.5 weeks old. It’s amazing how just a few days can change the flavors of the beer, especially the subtle ones. Months down the line, it comes off as an extremely strong citrus bomb of a DIPA. My nose and mouth are doing the equivalent of when I squint my eyes so I can see things far away. I think the subtleties are just too far gone here. But for what it is, I think it’s pretty tasty! What I hope for and what I perceive is all part of the tasting game, and why I sometimes like to not have any idea what I’m drinking. 

FP Fried calamari with chipotle aioli and a squeeze of lemon. Asian greens salad with baby spinach, carrots, grated ginger, mandarins, and a sesame vinaigrette. Dark chocolate covered ritz crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment