Friday, March 20, 2015

Founder's Breakfast Stout, Mystery 12 Pack Update, and East Coast Haul

I finally got through the mystery 12 pack! Took me long enough, right? It's hard when my fridge looks like this. 


Anyway, these are my thoughts on the last three!

River Horse Hop Hazard brings a hefty helping of earthy/piney hops to the table, with a solid crystal malt backbone. The fact that it’s unfiltered gives it a lightly creamy mouthfeel, which pairs nicely with the full flavored body. I’d drink it again!

Stone IPA has a unique hop character of equal parts pine and citrus. I feel like this is probably one of those beers you could easily pick out in a blind tasting. Bread crust maltiness lays a sound foundation, while a long bitter finish leaves you ready for the next taste. This is well balanced, and well deserving of your attention!

I saved what I thought would be best for last. Founder's Breakfast Stout has been on my wish list for quite sometime, and the one I was most excited about from the 12 pack. I decided to do full notes on this one!


Founders Breakfast Stout (Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout)

BG Poured from a 12 fl oz (355ml) bottle into a tulip glass, 8.3% ABV, 60 IBU, Bottled 10/26/14, Served at the appropriate temperature of 60°F

A Dark as onyx with a tint of deep mahogany. A modest half-finger of gingerbread colored foam caps the brew. It may be small, but it remains for several minutes while hardly diminishing. 

A This smells incredibly similar to Samuel Smith’s Chocolate Stout, but with heavy coffee notes. Sticky toffee, rich coffee with cream and sugar, crushed cacao nibs, lactose, both dark and milk chocolate, candied nuts, wood smoke, nutmeg, a touch of cinnamon. I’m not leaving myself many adjectives for the taste... There’s just a symphony of sweet, dark flavors in here!

T Yes!!! This is everything from the aroma and more. All the flavors are in such balance that I can pick out each one, but not so much that I can’t distinguish them from one another. A spoonful of oatmeal greets the tongue and is immediately washed down with equally sweet and bitter coffee. Toffee is the resulting flavor, with bits of nuts sprinkled throughout. Dark honey coats the tongue before bitter chocolate and smoke wash down the finish not unlike an Irish carbomb. 

M Creamy oatmeal, moderately low carbonation. Alcohol/smoke warms the back of my throat. After getting halfway through the glass, my stomach actually feels the same warmth.

A Chocolate and coffee bitterness resound with the lightest hint of caramelized banana 

C If you are any sort of dark beer fan, this needs to be in at least the top five of your beer bucket list. If you’re not a dark beer fan, then it should be in the top eight. Seriously, stop pussyfooting around and get your hands on this beer (so it’s in your possession, and so you warm it up after taking it out of the fridge). 

FP Chocolate peanut butter brownies with walnuts, fresh from the oven with a scoop of Half Baked on top. Deep fried oreos - maybe dip them in? Nothing - just drink it for breakfast.


Utah has more than a few fantastic breweries churning out some delicious brews, but it's always nice to break out of the bubble and try something out of state. I'm happy to have more where that came from...


Here's my haul from PA/NJ! I've been looking forward to some of these for a long time. And there are a few thrown in there that looked too interesting to pass up. In addition to these, I have Cuvée Des Jacobins, Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, and a few of Weyerbacher's barrel aged stuff. I'll try to do full notes on most of these, so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment