Sunday, March 22, 2015

Epic Straight Up Saison

I've been on a bit of a saison kick lately. I can't get enough of those Belgian yeasty characters of citrus, spicy phenols, and bubblegum. It's intensely refreshing, and feels like the perfect celebration beer for having such lovely 70 degree weather at the end of March. This summer will likely make Utah pay for the early warmth and very mild winter we had, but for now, I'm loving the weather.

BG Poured from a 22 fl oz (650ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 7.6% ABV, Release #21. They don’t have info up on their site for Release #21 yet, so I’m guessing it was bottled very recently. I purchased it on 3/21/15. It annoys me that you have to go online to figure out the bottling date. That being said, they do have lots of other cool info online for each release (Specific malt and hops used, when and where it was brewed and packaged). It's pretty cool, and I don't know any other brewery that does that.

A Golden yellow in color with a finger of white suds on top. The foam quickly fades into a thin film. The beer is quite hazy, and glows like sunshine even in low light. There’s a splotch here and there of lacing.

A Strong belgian yeast character of bubblegum and spicy phenols, fresh orange and pineapple juice with spritz of lime, tartness that makes my mouth water, a hint of barnyard

T Again - fresh citrus juices, gently tart, spicy, green grass, dried mango, a hint of banana, some clove. It’s just loads of sweet citrus and spice.

M The body is much lighter than I anticipated, but still slightly creamy. Moderate carbonation, refreshingly dry finish.

A Yeast derived green grassy bitterness - it’s pretty bold and long lasting. Quite nice!

C This isn’t a bad saison at all! It’s fairly sweet mid-palate, but finishes dry with a grassy quality that goes on for days. I’d be downright thrilled to have this on a hot day! Given, at 7.6% ABV it’s more of a post-lawn mowing beer than a pre or mid, but it’s refreshing all the same!

FP Bitter greens salad with carrots, radishes, a hard boiled egg, and a ginger citrus vinaigrette. Cilantro shrimp tacos with fresh pico de gallo and lime. Pizzelle cookies dusted with powdered sugar.


I'm very much looking forward to drinking the Saison Dupont from my last haul. I've never had it before, and it's considered the benchmark for all saisons. Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment