Sunday, December 28, 2014

Wasatch First One Down Winter Warmer Ale

The snow has been gently falling all day, and now continues into the night. I think I'm effectively fighting off a cold, but not so effectively fighting off my urge to review a beer anyway. I also wasn't on the slopes all day, or at all, but this next beer makes me wish I was. Mmm...



BG Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a stemmed tulip, 7.1% ABV, Enjoy by 03/18/15

A Mahogany in color with lots of ruby highlights. One finger of tan head diminished quickly, but left behind a sticky blanket of lacing. The foam is formed of tight bubbles, and looks more like chocolate milk froth. 

A Chocolate malt, chalky dark cocoa powder, sweet molasses, wet dirt, piney hops, touch of alcohol

T Sweet cereal grains, wheat, toasted pine nuts, a little piney hops as well, cocoa krispies, woodsy, honey, It’s like chewing on malt husks for a few minutes.

M Creamy - almost like a nitro, full bodied, medium carbonation

A Roasty malt bitterness, sticky honey

C Huh… I honestly didn’t set my expectations super high for this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised! I don’t know why I didn’t expect much out of it. I guess I’ve only had 2-3 other winter warmer beers before, and I wasn’t thrilled with any of them. But this is one I would drink again for sure if the mood struck me. If I was just getting off the slopes for the day, this is exactly what I would want. It has a pretty complex malt character without being overwhelming, and presents flavors that paint a picture of pine trees and snow crunching beneath my feet. My favorite kinds of beers will always be the ones that surprise me, and take me to another place. It seems the brewers over at Squatters/Wasatch have a knack for that. Nice!

FP    Warm apple pie with a dollop of cinnamon whipped cream, pork medallions with a honey raspberry glaze, gouda cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment