Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Happy New Year's Eve with Ommegang Game of Thrones Valar Morghulis Dubbel Ale

Happy New Year's Eve! What better way to finish the year than with a great Belgian beer from one of the best Belgian-style breweries in America? Santé!



BG Poured from a 1 pt 9.4 fl oz (750 ml) cork and cage bottle into a stemmed tulip glass, 8% ABV, Packaged on 09/08/14, Best by 09/20/15, Serve at 50°F/10°C

A Deep ruby in color with 2 fingers of sandy (the color of my kitchen walls) head. It sticks around for a bit, and slowly fades away to a thin layer. The bubbles are tight, and the foam is a little rocky. Little bubbles are constantly streaming up from the bottom, replenishing what’s left of the head. It fluffs right back up with a few swirls. Bold curls of lace round out this sexy beast.

A I haven’t even put my nose to the glass yet, and I’m already getting some strawberry-sweet malty characters. Oh, yes. Sweet belgian yeast, clove and spicy phenols. I don’t know why, but it smells like home. Now that I think about it, it smells like Weyerbacher. I wonder if they use similar yeast. Molasses, biscuit malt, a little bit of dark fruit, slightly zesty.

T Oh baby! Belgian beers are such a treat. Yeasty sweet flavors dominate, caramel malt, figs and other dark fruit, a tiny nip of herby hops in the middle, bleu-cheesy barnyard funk on the finish

M High carbonation, fluffy in the mouth, and dry on the finish, med body

A A balance of hop/malt bitterness, with a little sweet yeast

C There’s something extremely familiar about this beer - like an old friend I haven’t seen (or tasted?) in years. As mentioned in previous posts, beers that evoke memories or feelings truly provide the best experience. Beyond the nostalgia, this is a deliciously quaffable beverage. Balance is key. Though the yeast speaks louder than the malt and hops, all are playing equally important and notable parts in the structure of this beer. Take one out, and this jenga stack of yum topples over. Yeasty sweetness and spice, along with figgy malts and herbal hops give the senses a great show, all the while being tickled by a very active effervescence. Mmm!!!

FP    Chocolate coated orange peel. Wedge salad with bacon, raw onion, cherry tomatoes, bleu cheese crumble, and gorgonzola dressing. Braised lamb chops with a balsamic demi-glaze and horseradish fingerling potatoes.

Now, here's a brewery that really cares about their beer. They have a packaging date, best by date, AND a suggested serving temperature. I have never seen all three, or even more than one of these on a bottle. Bravo, Brewery Ommegang!!!

Oh, and I knew it was something familiar! It's not Weyerbacher, but Duvel that this beer tastes like! The bottle reads, "Part of the Duvel family of fine Belgian ales". Yep.

I try to learn as little about a beer as possible before I drink it and take tasting notes. That way, my perception is unbiased and I learn to detect aromas and flavors on my own. There's also an extreme feeling of satisfaction when my notes accurately describe the beer according the the bottle or brewery website. In this case, not right on, but close enough for me to be excited!

Chins up for 2015! And don't forget...
Valar Morghulis! (All men must die!)
Happy New Year, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment