Saturday, December 13, 2014

Sierra Nevada Harvest Northern Hemisphere Wet Hop IPA

Life has been busy! I've been working a lot, and spending much less time at home. Almost half the contents of my fridge is beer, and, now that I have 2.5 days off, it will get the attention it deserves!

I swear, I didn't mean to review two Sierra Nevada beers in a row. My bad! Honestly, there were a few other beers in my fridge I've been dying to try, but this one was begging for my attention with its 100-day limitation for consumption. I don't regret my choice...




BG Poured from a 655ml (1pt 8 fl oz) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 6.7% ABV, packaged 09/24/14, marked as a 100-day IPA, consumed 80 days past the packaged date

A Copper in color with two fingers of tan head, which is fairly dense and long-lasting. Sticky lacing decorates the glass as I drink. 

A Floral hops, dried hay, musty, lemon, bread crust, zesty, banana nut muffins, clove

T Caramel malt, lemons, grapefruit, grapes, piney hops, nutty, slightly acidic, roasty

M Tannic, medium-heavy body, moderate carbonation

A Harsh hop bite at the backsides of the tongue (It’s almost numbing), walnuts

C This beer is labeled as a wet hop IPA, but it shares small nuances with other styles. With the dark, malty notes and scents of banana/clove, the nose makes me think of a dark hefeweizen. By the taste, this is clearly an IPA, but the malt seems to be fighting for the spotlight a bit. It’s a pretty unique IPA, and the flavor profile is anything but flat. It’s worth a go!

FP Sharp cheddar grilled cheese & tomato soup, grilled chicken & cilantro rice with lemon butter sauce, blood orange glazed sticky buns

Some of you might be thinking, "What does wet hop mean?". A wet hopped beer features hops that are used for brewing no later than 24 hours after they were harvested. This insures the freshest hop flavor. You can read more about it on the Sierra Nevada website. Check with your local breweries or pubs in October (hop harvest month) to see if one might host an annual wet hop festival. I guess this post is a few months too late... oh well. This beer may have been packaged 80 days ago, but it's still tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment