Friday, December 26, 2014

Squatters Outer Darkness Russian Imperial Stout

Time for a malt-bomb! A very tiny (7 fl oz!), very alcoholic (10.5%!) malt-bomb (Russian Imperial Stout!). Enough with the parentheses. Fire in the hole!




BG Poured from a “Little Slammers” 7 fl oz (207ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 10.5% ABV, Enjoy by 11/11/15

A Black as tar, and about as opaque. No head, but a coffee crema film rests on top like an oil slick. When I swirl the beer, some of the darkest foam I’ve ever seen comes up to the surface. A splotch of lace is left behind here and there.

A Dark plums, loads of chocolate malt, coco puffs, lactose, caramelized banana, gasoline, I can feel the alcohol burn in my throat just by smelling it. The booze is so overwhelming I struggle to pick other things out.

T More caramelized banana, heavily roasted mixed nuts, and so. much. booze. I’m constantly fighting to taste anything else through it. Semi-sweet chocolate chips, the charred outer shell of a toasted marshmallow, oak.

M Creamy and mouth coating, also a little alcohol burn on the throat

A A mint-like tingle washes over the tongue. It feels like when rubbing alcohol evaporates off your skin. The finish is long and bitter, and a little green toward the very end. 

C The lack of patience while roasting marshmallows over a campfire often results in a gooey fireball of sugar, which quickly turns into an inedible black, charred shell on a stick. If you bit that off, along with some of the stick, and chased it with some whiskey, I think that’s what Outer Darkness tastes like. Actually, I think the marshmallow/stick/whiskey version sounds like it would taste better. I like all the flavors in this beer, but it feels like the brewer tried really hard to kick me in the teeth with this 10.5% ABV, and I actually value my teeth. I know, the ABV is up there. But I’ve had other imperial stouts with similar ABVs, and their alcohol content is either well hidden or well balanced. This is a matter of preference, not quality. Prefer up-in-your-face alcohol flavors? I just found your favorite beer! Something I really do like about this is the caramelized banana. It’s unique, and very appreciated.

FP     S’mores, Caramelized banana pancakes with walnuts, NY strip steak with garlic mash and gravy

No comments:

Post a Comment