Thursday, February 12, 2015

Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout

There's no time for chit-chat! That is, unless you have nothing to do while your stout reaches room temperature. I suggest watching this video in the meantime. 



Ready?



Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout

BG Poured from a 18.7 fl oz (550ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 5% ABV, Bottled 08/26/14 (Date code reads "SH26N1")

A This is about as brown as you can get before being considered black. Deep ruby highlights gleam when held up to the light. An aggressive pour produces three fingers of billowing, coffee crema colored foam. It settles down at a moderate pace until a creamy film rests on top. 

A Oh my lord. That’s the best chocolate aroma I’ve ever experienced from beer! It’s straight up cocoa nibs with loads of sugar and cream. I’m also getting toasted marshmallow, peanut brittle, graham cracker, and a touch of whiskey. This is s'mores in a glass. I would be content to just sit here and smell it for the rest of the night. I’m going to be so sad if this doesn’t taste as good as it smells...

T Yep. Just found my favorite chocolate stout ever ever ever ever ever. Sticky caramel joins sweet milk chocolate and hints of roasted nuts. It tastes just like a chocolate and caramel covered pretzel. I wouldn’t be surprised if this spent time in charred oak barrels, but I don’t think it did. There’s a little lactose in here, too.

M Lightly carbonated and full bodied. It’s so silky and creamy.

A Sweet marshmallows toasted over a campfire

C This is a unique masterpiece. It’s somehow very sweet without being cloying, and full bodied without being too filling. How you do this Samuel Smith!? This is still very much a dessert beer. I took it out of the fridge and left in on the counter for 15 mins while I ate my dinner so it could warm up. Don’t you dare drink this straight from the fridge! 

FP Drop a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it!!! Make a chocolate 4-way with this beer and a triple chocolate cake (chocolate frosting, chocolate cake batter, chocolate chips). Spicy mole chicken.

MP MP = Music Pairing. Why the heck not? Howlin’ Wolf - Built For Comfort



No comments:

Post a Comment