Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Maillard’s Odyssey Imperial Dark Ale & A Thrift Store Find

I've told you, they're waiting in my fridge. The weather still hasn't changed all that much, it's still pretty cold, it's still kinda rainy, and so I believe it's time to dig into those darker beers. Seeing as I have no way to properly cellar beer (the fridge is too cold, and room temp too fluctuating), I like to drink my beer according to the first in first out rule. The exception is wet hopped beer, or anything that is meant to be had as fresh as possible. I admittedly have a bomber of Epic Big Bad Baptist from last winter, and I have no idea how the aging in my fridge has affected it. That will be a fun adventure for another time!

Before we get into tasting notes, I have to report a great thrift store find. For those of you that don't know, I love going to thrift stores, yard sales, and all things of the sort. My Mom does it, my grandfather did it, and so I carry the familial thrifting torch onward. Before you go thinking I'm the nasty type that dumpster dives after barely expired food for dinner, think again. There's tons of gently used or even brand new stuff out there for the cheap taking. It's also good for the environment by keeping stuff out of landfills yada yada. End sermon. Here's what I found...


A Red Rock Brewing Company growler! I know it's only a few dollars at the brewery, but this one was only $1. I gave it a good clean, and now it's ready for a fill - something I've failed to take advantage of in this city that has multiple breweries within walking distance. It's a strange place for growlers with the statewide 4% ABV draft law. Even with the ABV so low, I still enjoy the freshness that draft beer offers.

Onto the notes!




Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Maillard’s Odyssey Imperial Dark Ale - Collaboration with Bell’s Brewery

BG 9/30/14
Poured from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 8.5% ABV, Bottled 05/21/14, 40 IBUs

A Black as night in color with a sandy tan head that leaves a mosaic of lacing behind. The head has an island of large bubbles surrounded by much smaller, tighter bubbles. Once settled, a thin layer of crema remains.



A Burnt malt, espresso, pumpernickel, Swiss Miss, life cereal, toffee

T Ruby red raisins, dried plums, dark chocolate, charred vegetables, dry hay, vanilla, burnt coffee

M Very smooth and creamy, mouth coating

A Bitter coffee grounds, Burnt toast

C The color of the beer speaks to just about every flavor it contains. If you can think of something edible and black, you can probably taste it in this beer. It particularly plays to the burnt-to-a-crisp side of things. It has a little bit of sweetness from the malt, but the overwhelming flavor is charred (insert food here). It probably wouldn’t be a hit with non-stout lovers, but it certainly has a place with those who prefer their coffee black and chocolate dark. I find it fairly delicious, but I’m not sure how it would stand up to something like North Coast Old Rasputin or Sierra Nevada Narwhal. I’ve got both either in my fridge, or en route to it, so I’ll be able to tell you my analysis in a week or so. =) 

Also, don't forget to let your stouts and dark ales warm up for a few minutes after taking them out of the fridge! Very cold temperatures inhibit flavor perception (this is why Coors Lite is advertised to be consumed as cold as possible). The rich, dark flavors of stouts and the like shine after they've warmed up a bit. Try tasting it cold from the fridge, and then again 10 minutes later. I think you'll find it much tastier after warming up!


No comments:

Post a Comment