Thursday, September 25, 2014

Black O'Lantern

Here we are, a few days into fall, and it's time to start drinking pumpkin beer again. I've already tried Wasatch's Seasonal Pumpkin Ale, and Uinta's PUNK'N. For my taste, PUNK'N wins by a long shot. Nice notes of pumpkin and light on the spice, all while tasting like beer more than a piece of pie.

Right now, I'm tasting Wasatch's Black O' Lantern Pumpkin Stout. Here's my tasting notes:




Wasatch Brewery Black O'Lantern Pumpkin Stout

BG     9/25/14
Poured from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 6.5% ABV, Enjoy By 12/28/14

A      Black as a beer can get, with a frothy chocolate milk-like head that leaves big puffs of lacing

A     Pumpkin puree, burnt toffee, cinnamon, allspice, even some flaky pie crust, sweet and deeply roasted malt, a touch of alcohol

T Taste follows the nose to a T, lots of roasty toasty malt, it's kind of sweet like a milk stout with the bitterness of a dry stout, the pumpkin and accompanied spices are well noted without being overpowering - something many pumpkin ales fail to achieve, also some coffee and dark chocolate notes

M Heavy body, creamy, med carbonation

A      Burnt malt, touch of bitterness

C      Pumpkin beers are widely debated on as to what makes a good one. Some like them sweet as pie, and others prefer the lightest hints of spice or even just pumpkin. I like my pumpkin beer the same way I like my fruit beer - tasting like BEER! I detest the overly sugary, spiced to the high heavens types. I feel that's a complete lack of balance. I give the makers of Black O'Lantern props for not only making a great pumpkin beer, but for doing so as a stout instead of an amber or lighter beer. It makes the sweetness and spices more appropriate for the style. I look forward to other breweries catching onto the pumpkin stout style. In comparison, I'm not a big fan of Wasatch's Pumpkin Seasonal Ale. But they nailed it with the pumpkin stout! I haven't seen it offered in many stores, so grab it if you see it!

FP      You guessed it: pumpkin anything. I'd love to have this along with some sort of fruit pie. And I'm sure a scoop of icecream - better yet, PUMPKIN icecream - would be super delicious. In fact, I'll try that last one now... Oh yeah... Yup. Do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment