Thursday, January 29, 2015

Squatters Fifth Element Farmhouse Ale

I'm going to kick this one off by giving a little lesson on an off-flavor called diacetyl. Off-flavors are presented as an undesirable, unfortunate development of beer, but are actually acceptable to a certain extent in some beer styles. Diacetyl is a natural by-product of fermentation best described as butter or butterscotch. It may destroy the flavor profile of some beers, but enhance that of a few others.


Squatters Fifth Element Farmhouse Ale

BG Poured from a 25 fl oz (750 ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 8% ABV, Bottled “12/14”

A Straw in color with two fingers of quickly dissipating, white cotton head. It settles down to a thin blanket of bubbles. Hardly any lacing. This beer is very clear on the first pour, but secondary and tertiary pours look more and more cloudy with yeast. Looks refreshing! 

A Tart Granny Smith apples, spicy phenols, a little funk, jolly ranchers, golden hay

T Very cider-like, popcorn jelly bellys, chardonnay-like, tart, oaky, light brett, like biting into a mushy apple, tons and tons of diacetyl on the finish

M Med-high carbonation, slick from the diacetyl, tingly from the carbonation

A Diacetyl, diacetyl, diacetyl, hint of apples

C This beer represents movie theatre snacks in a glass. You start off with some jujubes, jam a handful of popcorn that has been generously doused with artificial butter into your mouth, and wash it all down with a cherry pepsi. I’m sure this is someone's cup of tea, but it surely isn’t mine. I’m not repulsed, nor am I enticed. I simply am content without this beer, which is a shame considering it’s a premium, limited release. Perhaps my expectations were set a bit too high? 

FP I double doggie dare you to sneak this 750 ml bottle into a movie theatre and enjoy with your super sugary and/or salty movie snacks. Bonus points if you don’t get caught. Seriously, pair this with anything you would eat in a room where one of the walls is a projector screen.

I looked up tasting notes on this beer, and it seems no one else picked up on the diacetyl detail. Sooo, I'm wondering if, perhaps, I have an infected bottle? This is one of the problems I come across as I study alone. It could just be me. Anyone else pick up some diacetyl???

No comments:

Post a Comment