Thursday, November 27, 2014

Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone! I have officially arrived at the uncomfortable level of fullness that leaves me hating myself until the next morning. I wear this badge of pain and self-loathing proudly on my chest, as I have gained the right to wear it by skillfully consuming what feels like my own body weight in turkey and trimmings. I have now parked myself at my computer like a dry docked boat, with no intention of relocating myself anytime soon. What a rough life...


I can hardly think about drinking a beer right now, but writing about one isn't so bad...


Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout

BG Poured from a 12 fl oz (355ml) bottle into a stemmed tulip, 10.2% ABV, Packaged 07/31/14

A Black in color with slight hues of deep brown. One finger of chocolate colored foam rests atop the brew. It’s probably the darkest colored head I’ve ever seen (the pic does it no justice). Little to no lacing is present.

A Dark roasted malt, semi-sweet chocolate chips, strong coffee, slightly boozy, acidic, touch of piney hops, If I had to say it smells like one thing, it would be a mocha espresso drink. There’s a signature Sierra Nevada hop character in there.

T There’s a ton going on here. Sweet malted milk balls, slightly chalky chocolate, almost a hint of sour like a Flanders Brown Ale, lactose, heavily roasted nuts without seasoning, almost burnt rye bread, surprising smokiness, a bit of piney hop bitterness

M Almost as creamy as a milk or oatmeal stout. Slight chalkiness dries out the mouth a touch. Med carbonation. Heavy body. 

A Smokiness lingers on the sides of the tongue, hop bitterness becomes more noticeable as I drink.

C Chew up some dark chocolate, and breath in campfire smoke with your mouth open. Before you cough, take a swig of brown ale and finally swallow. I bet it just might taste something like this beer. Even if it doesn’t, it might make a fun campfire drinking game. Or you could avoid those steps all together and just drink Narwhal. Your choice.

This is a busy beer. It’s like a chatty friend that wants to tell you all about her day and hear nothing of yours. But this friend only has good stories, and they’re oddly soothing, so you don’t mind. You didn’t want to talk anyway. Sit back, relax, and get ready to listen to the sounds of a Narwhal. 

FP Rye whiskey, cherry pie, beef stroganoff

No comments:

Post a Comment